Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 13... The Lenten Journey Continues... A Prayer of Self Denial...

"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
~Psalm 51:10 (KJV)

A prayer for this day in Lent:

Dear God, my number one problem is me.  I have embraced a false self that tries in every way to tell me that I am in control - and even more dangerously, tells me not to trust you but rather to trust my own alleged righteousness.  I am ashamed at how many times I have listened to the voice of the false self instead of your voice.

Today, I deny that false self and ask that you would renew a right spirit within me, a self that attends to you and lives accordingly.  Especially today, I ask that I might deny the false self in relation to (      ).  I am tired of going where it leads me.  Instead, lead me in paths of righteousness for your name's sake.  I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen

(Prayer taken from: "A Pocket Guide to Prayer" by Steve Harper)

No comments: